Since spring is here that means it's the perfect time for carrot muffins. They're warm, fluffy and have the perfect amount of sweet and spicy goodness. Muffins make the most convenient snack and are great for a breakfast on the go.
If you're wondering how to make a healthy gluten free flour mix then try reading this post. It breaks down how to make a healthy gluten free flour mix yourself. Making it yourself will save you money and it's often healthier!
Carrots contain vitamin C, fibre and vitamin A which means they're good for your immune system, belly and eye sight. You'll never know that these muffins are full of them!
Cinnamon is packed with anti-inflammatory antioxidants! Its anti-inflammatory properties are so strong that studies have shown that it can help relieve muscle soreness, PMS pains, and other age-related symptoms of pain. Make sure when you're buying cinnamon to get Ceylon cinnamon as it has more health benefits.
Perfect snack for the mid afternoon munchies!
Healthy Carrot Muffins (Allergy Free, Gluten Free, Dairy Free
Prep time: 15 mins
1¾ cups gluten free all purpose flour
1½ teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground ginger
1 1/2 cups peeled and grated carrots* (that's potentially a lot of carrots—about 3 large or up to 6 small/medium)
⅓ cup melted coconut oil
½ cup maple syrup
2 eggs, preferably at room temperature or 2/4 cup bananas mashed
1/2 cup coconut cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease 12 cups in a muffin tin with coconut oil or line with muffin liners.
2. In a medium bowl mix together gluten free flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, nutmeg and cinnamon.
3. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the oil and maple syrup and beat together with a whisk. Add the eggs and beat well, then add the coconut cream and vanilla and mix well.
4. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix with a big spoon, then add grated carrots and stir. Divide the batter evenly between the 12 muffin cups.
5. Bake muffins for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
MAKE IT: Egg free by replacing eggs with 2 flax eggs or 1/4 cup masked banana per egg
MAKE IT: Grain free by replacing gluten free all purpose flour with cassava flour
MAKE IT: AIP friendly by replacing eggs with 1/4 cup banana per egg and exclude baking powder.