One of my favourite dishes pre gluten/dairy free was a cheesy rice risotto. So in my forever quest to replace all my favourite foods with healthy versions I created this cheesy zucchini "rice" recipe. I'm always looking to create easy allergy free side dishes and this is one of my favourite comfort dishes for sure.
It doesn't seem to matter how long I'm on a dairy free diet I still crave cheese. Cheese, I swear, is one of the hardest things to give up (am I right?!) Most cheese sauce recipes that are dairy free use cashews and since I have a nut allergy I couldn't try them. That's where nutritional yeast comes in! It's different then brewers yeast (which isn't gluten free), it's a single-celled organism which is grown on molasses and then harvested, washed, and dried with heat to kill or “deactivate” it. Sounds weird I know, but it's so good! It tastes creamy and cheesey!
Now onto my love of zucchini rice. Cauliflower rice used to be my go to but let's be honest it was a lot of prep! I don't have a Trader Joes where I live (they sell bagged cauliflower rice). SO I started using zucchini. Zucchini rice takes 5 min and has a delicious light flavour. Perfect rice replacement.
One Pot Dairy Free Cheesy Zucchini Rice
Time 15 min Serves 2-4
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot starch or tapioca
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup chicken stock
- ½ cup nutritional yeast (I use Braggs it's gluten and nut free)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon turmeric (Epicure Brand is gluten free)
- ¼ teaspoon paprika (Epicure Brand is gluten free)
- Salt and pepper to taste (Epicure Brand is gluten free)
- 3 med zucchinis (2 large)
- Chop up the zucchini into medium chunks then put in the food processor and pulse until zucchini pieces are about the size of rice (do in batches). Set aside.
- Melt the coconut oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, then add the starch and mix to form a paste.
- Add the coconut milk and chicken stock, stir well to remove any lumps. Keep stirring until the sauce thickens and bubbles.
- Add the nutritional yeast, Dijon mustard and spices, and beat with a whisk until smooth, adding more milk if the sauce is too thick.
- Turn down to low and stir in the zucchini rice and cover. Let simmer for 5 min.
- Serve immediately.