I was having a major pasta craving the other day and since I rarely eat grains I knew the perfect replacement was gnocchi! Gnocchi is traditionally a potato and flour dumpling from Italy. So I switched out the potato for sweet potato and the flour for tapioca starch and to make it even healthier I added cauliflower. Hear me out, I know it sounds different to add cauliflower to gnocchi, but it makes the recipe so delicious!
As for the sauce I ended up using ghee infused with fresh herbs. You could also use butter or a butter replacement if you can't tolerate dairy. Enjoy!
Grain Free Cauliflower Gnocchi + Herb Butter Sauce
1 large sweet potato
1 head cauliflower, (about 3 cups of uncooked cauliflower rice)
2 Tbs tapioca flour
1/4 cup nutritional yeast or if you can tolerate dairy 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 clove garlic
1 tbsp olive
Herb Butter (Ghee)
1 bunch of fresh or dried oregano, thyme, sage, rosemary
1/3 cup ghee
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees and with a fork, pierce sweet potato skin 5-6 times. Place on baking sheet lined with foil. Bake until tender about 35-45 min.
2. While the sweet potato is cooking make cauliflower rice: To make cauliflower rice chop an entire cauliflower into large pieces, add half the pieces to a food processor. Pulse until about the size of rice and transfer to a microwave safe bowl. Then pulse the second half of the cauliflower into the size of rice and add to the same microwave safe bowl. Add 3 tbsp of water and cover with a plate. Put in microwave covered for 3 minutes then carefully remove. Let cool for a few minutes. Transfer to a clean towel or paper towel and press to remove any excess moisture (careful it still could be hot).
3. After draining cauliflower rice add back into the food processor and pulse in one egg, 1/2 tsp sea salt, tapioca flour, nutritional yeast and 1 clove of garlic minced until mixed.
4. After the sweet potato is cooked, remove from the oven and turn the oven down to 300 degrees, then carefully slice the top and scoop out the flesh into the food processor and pulse until smooth, no longer.
5. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper and drizzle with olive oil and set aside.
6. Add about half of the potato mixture to a medium ziploc bag and cut a 1/2 inch hole in one corner. Then pipe the sweet potato gnocchi onto the parchment paper (about 1 inche long and 3/4 inch wide). Then pipe the other half.
7. Make a small indent with a fork and then brush some olive oil on top of each gnocchi
8. Bake in over for around 20-30 minutes or until lightly browned but not dark.
9. While in the oven make herb ghee sauce by
- Wash and thoroughly dry the herbs and then chop finely.
- Combine the herbs and the ghee in a small saucepan and gently heat until the herbs lightly sizzle for about 10 seconds.
- Strain through a cheesecloth.
10. After sweet potato gnocchi is done then lightly drizzle the herb flavoured ghee over top and mix and serve!