Casseroles are perfect for weeknight meals and make great leftovers. Most casseroles have milk, cheese or canned soup, so I decided to make one that's gluten free, grain free and allergy free. The base is creamy sweet potato scalloped potatoes topped with shredded chicken and broccoli.
There's something about creamy casseroles that are the quintessential comfort dish. Plus you can prepare a second one and freeze it for a night when you are completely out of time and need something easy to pull out! (Bonus)! I always make recipes that serve more then I'll eat so I can have some for lunch as well. When you have so many food restrictions lunch can seem impossible. It's so much easier to just heat something up.
Sweet Potato Chicken Casserole
Time: 1 hour 15 min Serves: 4-6
2 large sweet potatoes (about 4 cups sliced)
1 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
1/2 cup chicken stock
1 tsp sea salt
1 garlic clove minced
1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (eliminate if AIP)*
1/4 tsp chili powder (eliminate if AIP)*
2 chicken breasts
1 large head of broccoli
* If AIP you can replace with fresh herbs or try putting in 1/2 tsp turmeric
1. Preheat your oven to 375 F.
2. Peel sweet potatoes
3. Slice the potatoes into about 1/8th inch thick slices
4. Line a glass baking dish with sliced sweet potatoes
5. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a saucer over medium heat then add 1 clove minced garlic and cook for about 1 min. Then add 1 1/2 cup coconut milk and 1/2 cup chicken stock and stir.
6. Add cayenne, chili powder, poultry seasoning, salt and pepper and stir.
7. Pour 1 1/2 cups of the mixture over the sweet potatoes (set aside the rest) and cover with tin foil and put in oven
8. Slice two chicken breasts into slices and pan fry over medium heat in 1 tsp olive oil until cooked, set aside
8. After sweet potatoes have baked for 45 min remove from oven
10. Shred chicken and mix with broccoli and top the sweet potato mixture.
11. Pour remaining coconut milk mixture over the casserole uncovered and bake for 15 min