I've found myself in a bit of a dinner rut recently, eating the same recipes on repeat. So I decided to try a recipe using the few things that actually grew in my garden. I mixed an assortment of herbs and lettuces together with a lemon dressing and it was delicious! So I decided to share it.
When I grill steaks I usually just use salt and pepper, but in an effort to mix things up a little I made a honey, ginger and garlic sauce. The steak pairs perfectly with the lemony herb salad. I love barbecuing when it’s warmer out because that means the inside of the house can stay cool!
Honey Ginger Steak
Serves 2 Time: 15 min (over night marinade)
2 striploin steaks
pinch of salt and pepper
1/2 inch piece of ginger minced
1 clove of garlic
4 tbsp raw honey
1 tbsp rice vinegar
2 tbsp olive oil
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the oil, honey, garlic, vinegar, ginger, salt and pepper.
- Place the steaks in a shallow dish or large, zip-top bag. Cover or seal and let marinade for at least 8 hours, or overnight.
- Preheat grill for medium heat. Cook steak for about 6-8 minutes per side, depending on how well done you like your meat (it will be more tender if you leave some pink in the center).
- Let the steak rest for about 10 minutes before slicing against the grain to serve.
Summer Herb Salad + Lemon Dressing
Serves 2 Time 15 min
3 cups mixed lettuce greens
1/4 cup fresh basil
1 tbsp fresh dill
1 tbsp fresh mint
1/4 cup fresh parsley
2 tbsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp maple sugar
1 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper
1. Blend together lemon juice, maple sugar, olive oil and pinch of salt and pepper
2. Mix until combined and sugar is dissolved
1. Toss together mixed lettuce greens, dill, mint, basil and parsley. Add dressing and lightly coat salad.
2. Serve with steak