Mac and cheese is the quintessential comfort food, and for good reason! It's warm, creamy and filling. I wanted to make a super healthy nutrient rich version of Mac and cheese for all of us on a gluten and dairy free diet but craving some creamy goodness. I recently found an allergen and gluten free nutritional yeast at Whole Foods and I've been loving it. It's packed with B vitamins which are important for mood and energy. Plus it gives any recipe a cheesy yummy flavour. Cauliflower is high in vitamin C, and it contains sulforaphane a sulphur compound that has been shown to help prevent cancer. So this really is a comfort food without anything bad! So enjoy to your hearts content.
Cauliflower Mac & "Cheese" (Gluten Free, Dairy Free, AIP)
2 large heads of cauliflower (7 Cups worth)
5 cups chicken stock (Pacifica Organic Chicken stock is gluten free)
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
Pinch of sea salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder (Epicure brand is gluten free)
1. Boil 2 cups chicken stock in a medium saucepan then add 3 cups chopped cauliflower, turn to low and cover for 10 minutes or until the cauliflower is very soft.
2. Add the whole mixture carefully to a food processor, pulse until smooth and the consistency of a sauce.
3. Add in sea salt, garlic powder and nutritional yeast and pulse until combined. Set aside.
1. Pre heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Chop up 5 cups of cauliflower into bite sized pieces.
3. Boil 3 cups chicken stock in the same sauce pan (because it means less dishes😀) then add the cauliflower and boil until cooked, about 5-7 min. Then strain.
4. Mix the cauliflower sauce with the cooked cauliflower and add to a casserole dish. Sprinkle with some nutritional yeast and bake for 10 minutes.
5. Serve warm
What's your favourite comfort food?